Stripped of its bark and tapered at the bottom, the Wangari vase shows off the inner beauty of the tree. It is pear-shaped and feels of a similar weight in the hand (at the medium size), as if you could mistake it for something sweet and edible. It would look beautiful on a counter-top next to a bowl of fruit or on a bed-side table filled with dried forget-me-nots.
All of our products are made from pollarded wood taken from living trees. We are deeply dedicated to the sustainability of our planet, our products, and our business, so we choose to create products that don’t harm the environment they are sourced from. We can safely say that no trees were harmed in the making of this vase.
Because of the sustainable wood we use, the size, shape, and color of each Wangari bud vase is variable, which ensures that you will always receive a completely unique vase to serve as a talking point in your home.
Wangari Maathai was a glass ceiling breaker, a nobel prize laureate, and the founder of the Green Belt Movement, an environmental organization based in Kenya which empowers local communities to conserve the natural resources of their regions, in turn leading to better livelihoods. She dedicated much of her life to encouraging people to plant trees and to care for the natural world, while also establishing methods to pay people to do so. You can read more about her work founding the Green Belt Movement in her book, Unbowed.
Wood types available
Ash (Fraxinus excelsior)
Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)
Oak (Quercus robur)
Holly (Ilex aquifolium)
Goat willow (Salix caprea)
Small: 8 cm (3 in) tall | 4 cm (2 in) wide | 4 cm (2 in) deep
Medium: 13 cm (5 in) tall | 6 cm (2.5 in) wide | 5 cm (2 in) deep
Large: 18 cm (7 in) tall | 9 cm (4 in) wide | 9 cm (4 in) deep
Important notes (read before buying)
- This listing is for one (1) vase only.
- All of our bud vases are for dried foliage only.
- This item is made-to-order. Please allow up to 1 week for us to make your item and process your order.
- Every item we make is entirely unique. All of our made-to-order products vary in shape, size, texture, color, etc. The product you see in the photo is just an example of the overall shape and size of the product you will receive.
- Nature isn’t perfect. Cracks are common when working with green (undried) wood. We hope that you will appreciate the natural details of our products as much as we do, but, if you are looking for a perfect product with none of the natural beauty of imperfections, please look to the work of other makers that work in dried wood.
Functional and simple design mixed with ancient hand carving techniques allow our wooden wares to be both lightweight and incredibly strong at the same time. Over ten years in design has given Nick, our maker, a strong belief in always allowing the wood to speak for itself.
With each piece he examines and follows the grain as he works, keeping the unique bends and burls rather than tossing them out like most makers would. This means you receive a stronger and more beautiful item than you would from someone who just carves from straight-grained blanks. It also means that every piece is entirely unique, so what you see in the photo is exactly what you will receive in the mail.
Sustainably pollarded limb from West Cork, Ireland
Time taken to make
Small: 40 minutes
Medium: 1 hour
Large: 1 hour 20 minutes
Hand-sanded to a soft, matte finish then oiled and polished with linseed oil and beeswax